Hack Showcases and RPG Hack Showcases are a series where I show off various game and rpg hacks. I try to stick with hacks that improve gameplay or add quality of life features, completely or partially change the plot and characters, along with additional content, dialogue, graphical and sound improvements. Non-rpgs I try to give a full run to, or at least enough for a solid review. Rpgs I will stick with titles that have enough changes in the beginning to show off, and when I can, show parts later in the games where more differences appear. There may be spoilers in the reviews and videos. Some of these I may stream fully in the future or play on my own. Reviews are open to later revisions due to bug and content updates or me playing them and finding anything new I wish to bring up.
Zelda Link to the Past Redux is another lovely hack released by Shadowone333 and his team. This one is a combination of his team’s work and that of the Link to the Past DX hack by Con and qwertymodo. This one added improvements to the graphics, quality of life features, and restored some censored content from the original release. The FMV opening was also restored!!
A Link to the Past Redux provides two main patches (either of which can be applied without the need of the other):
- New inventory GFX starting from version 7.0, which gives individual slots to every item, including one per each bottle and the shovel is handled as a separate and permanent item. Ocarina and Golden Bee names have been fixed manually for this too.
- New Retranslation patch, a companion to main Redux. This patch provides a completely new and unique retranslation of the game’s script provided by the Translation Quest team that is primarily faithful to the Japanese text. (NOTE: This is an independent patch and should NOT be patched over the main Redux patch, but all optional patches should be compatible with it.)
As for the main changes for Redux:
- Max consumables for Bombs and Arrows are now 60 for Bombs and 99 for Arrows
- Change Link’s hair and hat to closely match his original artwork.
- Change Agahnim colors to match the original red robe and blue skin artwork.
- Changed Uncle’s sprite to match official artwork.
- Change the Flute’s name to Ocarina (I don’t know in what world that instrument is a flute). This includes in-game text and Credits name changed too.
- Change the Good Bee’s name to Golden Bee.
- Change Faerie to Fairy. This includes in-game text too.
- Change Pegasus Shoes to Pegasus Boots. This includes in-game text too.
- Change all the references of the “Wise Men” to “Sages”.
- Change the layout of the Ice Palace to that of the GBA port. No more going around the entire palace just to get to the next room. As of v2.0, the Ice Palace new layout has been fixed to have 3 movable blocks in the new section. There was one movable block unused in one other Dungeon layout found in Room 240. (Why was it there?)
- King of Hyrule now has a red outfit instead of green to match the rest of the franchise’s Kings of Hyrule (Like Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule from WW).
- Permanent Shovel, as well as being able to dig up items with it in the overworld.
- Skip the Title Screen sequence by pressing Start, you no longer have to wait until the Triforce and title screen finish their animation.
There’s also a number of optional patches to add!