Hack Showcases and RPG Hack Showcases are a series where I show off various game and rpg hacks. I try to stick with hacks that improve gameplay or add quality of life features, completely or partially change the plot and characters, along with additional content, dialogue, graphical and sound improvements. Non-rpgs I try to give a full run to, or at least enough for a solid review. Rpgs I will stick with titles that have enough changes in the beginning to show off, and when I can, show parts later in the games where more differences appear. There may be spoilers in the reviews and videos. Some of these I may stream fully in the future or play on my own. Reviews are open to later revisions due to bug and content updates or me playing them and finding anything new I wish to bring up.
Released by Maroc and his team, this hack adds a lot to ocarina of time with quality of life improvements and more. A number of graphics were removed and others restored, the speed of text scrolls a lot faster now along with other gameplay elements. An extra hack called master Quest is included (no idea if it’s like the official Master Quest with the gamecube port) for an additional challenge. This hack can be patched normally or using the Patcher64 program where you can change the hack to your liking, along with changing some colors of link’s clothes and Navi, and change the sounds from objects! Want to make Navi squawk like a chicken instead of saying “Hey listen!”, you can! Note: this review was done with a customized OoT Redux hack patch using the Patcher64 tool.
- Text speed now goes 2 times as fast as the original, matching Majora’s Mask and Ocarina of Time 3D.
- Text revamp, restored and revised based on subsequent releases of Ocarina of Time.
- Fixed graves behavior like in subsequent versions.
- Properly center the “Navi” text in the C-Up button.
- Collecting Gold Skulltulla Tokens no longer freezes the player but allows it to continue moving. This is similar to what happens in Majora’s Mask spider houses.
- D-PAD can be used to quickly access ocarina and iron/hover boots.
- Rupee color of the rupee count indicator now changes in color to reflect the wallet upgrade possessed.
- Stone of Agony now works even without rumble. An icon will appear over the rupee count when in proximity of a hidden grotto.
- Farore’s Wind does not get dispelled through time travel and can be used independently by child and adult Link.
- The bunny hood now works like in Majora’s Mask boosting movement speed when worn.
- Bombchu Bowling prizes now appear in fixed order instead of random (Rotation being: piece of heart, purple rupee, bomb bag capacity upgrade, bombs).
- Fishing made easier by guaranteeing biting, but keeps the fish size RNG from the original game.
- Biggoron has you wait 2 days instead of 3 to forge the Biggoron Sword.
- Default Z-targeting is automatically set to HOLD by default.
- Burning Kakariko cutscene now starts by entering Kakariko from any entrance instead of only the main one.
- Song of Storms cooldown is removed, additionally it can be used in every ambient.
- Warp songs and Farore’s Wind can now be used inside Gerudo Training Grounds and Ganon’s Castle.
- Lab diving heart piece can now be obtained at all times.
- Increased speed of block pushing.
- Subscreen delay fix
- Extended draw distance.
- Requires All Medallions to unlock the bridge for Ganon’s Castle (original game only requires Shadow and Spirit).
- Unlocked Tunics for Young Link.
- Updated Young and Adult Link 3D models.
- All other vanilla features (Rewards, Cutscenes and Animations) are retained.
SO HOW IS IT? This is very well done! The features and changes above are part of the original hack patch, but if you want to customize your own Ocarina of Time Redux hack to make it harder or easier, or with some features like the censored Fire Temple and not others, or add some to Master Quest there’s a way! using the Patcher64 tool, you can customize Redux to your liking, along with Master Quest! Patcher64 can also customize Majora’s Mask, and a few other games too!
A lot of the changes you can add into your hack are much needed quality of life features, such as faster text dialogue, skipping cutscenes and skipping other cinemas. You can also change link’s model to different Links from other games, male or female, and even Mega Man! It’s also fun to change the audio cues for events like Navi talking, low energy, animal sounds between day and night and more. you can also change the color of Link’s tunics, the gauntlets, boots and even Navi herself!
The game still plays out the same as the vanilla version, just with all the changes you add to it like different link models, color of clothes, skipping cutscenes, restoring censored content, different dialogues, etc. You’ll still need to collect the items to get the master Sword and unlock the Temple of Time and jump between adult and child Link and then getting the medallions in the future. Redux isn’t so much throwing a fresh coat of paint on the game as it is customizing it to add in quality of life features, and change the look and feel of it so it’s partially a new game. I can’t wait to fully play this sometime!
(Note: when i did the hack showcase stream to show this off, Zelda’s model kept having graphical glitches. Not sure if it is a result of the hack, my slower pc, or using the Project64 emulator. I don’t know if this reoccurs later in the game or if other people playing will experience it, but i’m not dropping a rating for this hack due to it.)
I GIVE OCARINA OF TIME REDUX 5 OUT OF 5 HEART CONTAINERS!!
If you enjoy reading any of my content and hearing of my nerdy adventures, feel free to share my posts on social media or leave me a comment. I would be forever grateful if you supported me via my Cash App or buy me a coffee via Ko-Fi. All donations are very welcomed and appreciated. I earn no income from this blog and this will help me continue in providing content and fulfilling my dreams. Thanks!