Hack Showcases and RPG Hack Showcases are a series where I show off various game and rpg hacks. I try to stick with hacks that improve gameplay or add quality of life features, completely or partially change the plot and characters, along with dialogue, graphical and sound improvements. I try to stick with games that have enough changes in the beginning to show off, and when I can, try to show parts later in titles. Some of these i may stream or play on my own.
Zelda 1 Redux aims to fix and improve a lot of this amazing game with new graphics, font from the Famicom Disk System version, cleaner interface and other quality of life features. Released by Shadowone333 and his team, this hack improves a lot and more on Zelda 1 with different graphics, quality of life improvements, a new overworld map, increased rupee capacity up to 999, slight change in graphics for where to bomb or light a candle, and more! Optional patches include changing some of the graphics and changes back to their original, removing the annoying beeping when low on health and more! I need to give this a try on my own for both quests!
From the Changelog:
- MMC1 and MMC5 versions. This was done so that users that want to go the reproduction cartridge route, can use the MMC1 version (and for compatibility sake). For emulation, any of the two versions can be interchanged.
- Save manually with Up+A when in the Items Subscreen
- Reworked heart HUD to match Zelda 2 Redux
- Relocalization of the game’s script to better match the Japanese release, or have better hints altogether. Based on the Legends of Localization book/webpage (Except the two iconic “Take this” and “It’s a secret” lines)
- Make the Blue tunic more vibrant
- Increment the initial bomb max. amount to 10 instead of 8
- Increment the bomb upgrades by 10 instead of the original 4. First upgrade should give you 20 bombs, second will be 30.
- Faster text printing
- Modify the Sword beam to only be active when at full health/heart, and stop shooting when the life gets to 3/4 of a heart
- Modify certain item names to better match subsequent official names in the franchise (Rupee, Fairy, Heart Container, etc.)
- Change the Red and Blue rings to Red and Blue tunics
- Introduction text rewrite
- Reimplementation of the warning screen from version PRG1 upon Game Over / Saving
- Slight modifications to the title screen to give the “ZELDA” title a red color (modified fading palettes to match this change too)
- Possibly also add a breakable tile hint for overworld tiles
- Automap Plus, but modify it to have 1/4 heart decrements instead of 1/8 (this is needed in order to make space in sprite PPU for the next point (#3)
- Visible hint for breakable walls in Dungeons (already implemented, just need sprite space for the left walls)
- Remove the 1 Rupee flashing (couldn’t be made green due to palette limitations) Continue reading